Life Life

21/04/2018 - 13:29

French architecture 

According to Tran Minh Duc (PhD) and Tran Ba ​​Viet (PhD) from the Institute for Building Science and Technology, the import of French architecture into Hue was in three periods (before 1900, 1900-1920, and 1920-1945), with five architectural styles.

It was the pre-colonial style with rudimentary architectures, which were military camps, hospitals, typically the old building of Hue Central Hospital existing until now. The neoclassical style with the symmetrical layout, emphasizing the main lobby such as Hue Railway Station and Khai Tuong Palace (An Dinh Palace), etc. The French architectural style, which simulated the one in regions of France, was adapted to suit the local natural conditions (Festival Center at 1 Phan Boi Chau street).

Later, a new architectural style combining European and Asian architectural styles formed the Indochinese architectural style, characterized by the tile roof patterned with decorative motifs, simulating palaces and temples. So far, this style of architecture has still remained in many buildings and mansions, namely Quoc Hoc High School, Hai Ba Trung High School, Hue University headquarters, etc. The last one was the moderne style with solid blocks and more focus on functional use, like the current Hue University of Sciences.

Hue News introduces the latest photos of the works of French architecture in Hue by photographer Trung Phan.


The Hôpital Indigene was built in 1894 on the old foundation of the training camp of navy soldiers, with about 21 buildings built in French style. It is now Hue Central Hospital, still intact and in use.


Quoc Hoc Hue High School was established on November 18, 1896. The school had changed its name over time, but it was often called as Quoc Hoc (1896-1936), Khai Dinh High School (1936-1954), Ngo Dinh Diem High School (1955-1956), and has returned to its original name since 1956.

The Saigon Morin Hotel (formerly Grand Hotel de Hue) was built in 1901 by Mr. Bogaert. In 1906, Wladimir Morin (from Arbois of the Jura Mountains) purchased and repaired the building, making it luxurious. Over several changes, the hotel has been named after Morin.

Hue Railway Station was built in the ancient French architecture in 1906. Its old name may be rarely known, the "Truong Sung Station".

The Luc Bo or "Six Ministries" office, which is now Hue Museum of Culture (at 25 Le Loi street, Hue city), built in the ancient French architecture.

The construction of Khai Dinh tomb was started on September 4, 1920 and completed 11 years later; its other architectural features are a blend of Eastern and Western elements.

An Dinh Palace was built in 1917 and completed in 1919

Khai Tuong Temple is the center work with the most massive scale. Although there are some small details treated in the traditional Vietnamese architecture, the main features of this work are the forms of European neoclassical architecture.

La Residence Hotel & Spa used to be the residence of the French governor in Hue in the 1920s.

Hue Festival Center at 1 Phan Boi Chau street is one of the French-style villas

The architecture of Hue University of Sciences was built in the moderne style with bold shapes, focusing on functional use with the French architectural imprints.

By Trung Phan